Thursday, February 27, 2020

If I Run - Mystery Annotation

Title: If I Run by Terri Blackstock 
Published: 2016
Audiobook: Narrated by Nan Gurley 
Length: 6 hours and 42 minutes; 6 discs

Plot Summary:
In the first book of the If I Run series, Casey Cox is suspect number one in her best friend’s murder. Although she is innocent, her mistrust of the police leads her to go on the run. She methodically plans out how to stay one step ahead of the detectives, specifically Criminal Investigator Dylan Roberts. Yet, Dylan has his own issues as he has recently been discharged from the army because of his PTSD and Brent, the murder victim, was also his friend. The search for truth and evidence in Brent’s murder is explored through the alternating chapters between Casey and Dylan. Nan Gurley narrates this complex and dangerous mystery that leaves the reader questioning whether justice will be served or not.

Mystery Elements:
Tone: Saricks says that tone varies for each mystery (p. 56). If I Run is more of a calm read. There is some heightened suspense near the end. Most of the story is more methodical about detailing Casey’s past and where she is going.
Frame: According to Saricks, frame refers to details and side subjects (p. 55). If I Run includes many details about the towns Casey stops and stays in. There are also side subjects such as mental health and kidnapping. 
Pacing: Although pacing is not as important for mysteries, dialogue determines the pace (Saricks, p. 57). If I Run does have a fair amount of dialogue which does help speed the story up sometimes. Yet, there are also a lot of details that slow it down. Saricks also says that pacing is not as important because readers go to mysteries for investigative details and the characters’ investment in justice (p. 57). Seeking justice is very important for Dylan. While Casey wishes the truth could come out, she does not know how to make it happen, so she just runs. Yet, the second half of the book begins to show Casey has more of a desire for justice than what was portrayed in the beginning.
Characterization: The investigator and their sense of justice are main components of mysteries (Saricks, p. 53). This is the role Dylan fills. Yet, Saricks also says that secondary characters are important in mysteries (p. 54). This is true for Miss Lucy Daley, an older woman Casey befriends while she is on the run. Readers quickly learn Miss Lucy plays an integral role in Casey’s character development and the story’s plot.

3 Read-Alikes:
Vanished by Irene Hannon
Last Words by Michael Koryta
Close Your Eyes by Iris Johansen

Personal Thoughts:
While I feel this was a nice mystery for someone who does not read mysteries, I also had some personal issues with some of the things the characters did. I did not think everything was always logical and well-thought out. Something to note about this book is that it is by a Christian author and there are many points when God is brought up. I somewhat wondered if that was more important to the author than making sure everything made sense.

Also, since this was an audiobook, I was paying attention to the narrator. While Nan Gurley has a nice calming voice, she did not vary her voice much from character to character. When I listen to audiobooks I prefer the narrator to be able to make unique voices for each character.

4 comments:

  1. I see people check this out all the time but I've never gotten the chance to read it myself- it's nice to know what all the hype is about! This is part of a series, right? So I'm wondering- do you ever find out who actually did it, or are you supposed to keep reading? Great annotation, and I especially like how you handled how the Christian element affected the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to avoid Christian authors/books. Do you find that the Christian aspect to take away for the main plot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insightful annotation of If I Run. You did a great job of providing enough information to pique my interest, without giving anything away. I have read Blackstock's series Cape Refuge and Newpointe 911 in the past and really enjoyed them. Her writing is pretty formulaic for all that our text says is typical in a mystery. In addition to all the things you mention, there is also always the injured (either psychologically or physically, and sometimes both!) hero. I particulary enjoyed the island setting of the series I read.

    I agree that, often, Christian writers sacrifice quality writing to make their point. It didn't bother me in her books that I've already read, so I"m hoping it's not more extreme here, since you've made me want to read it. I'm sorry to hear about the narrator, though, since I would definitely be "reading" the audio book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic annotation! Full points! Your personal note is really crucial. Great job!

    ReplyDelete