Sunday, May 3, 2020

Promoting the Fiction Collection - Final Prompt

I am not involved in any promotional activities at the IUN library since I only work circulation. Yet, I do pay attention when I go to my local public library. So, as I picked these three promotional and marketing ideas I was thinking of that library. My three ideas are:

  1. Bookmarks and annotated lists in person and online in a blog
  2. “Bowl of Inspiration” in person and online with a randomizer 
  3. A cart display near front entrance

Each of my choices are to promote the fiction collection in a way that is most likely going to catch people’s attention. In person and online options are to catch people who spend a lot of time online, which is many patrons. Plus, in person pieces would ideally be placed as close to the entrance as possible to immediately catch patrons.

First, the bookmarks and annotated lists can be printed in person and placed in displays around the library. My local public library already has holders for papers and flyers right at the front doors. They usually promote library activities, but bookmarks and lists could easily be added. Then I liked what Bill Carroll had in the PDF slideshow about putting these bookmarks and lists on a library blog. That way the bookmarks and lists could be quickly and easily shared on all social media sites where they would likely get a lot of attention.

Second, I also liked Carroll’s “Bowl of Inspiration.” This bowl is a great way to create an interactive promotion. It can also really help patrons who do not know what they want to read or want to try something new. Yet, as I thought about this great idea, I wondered if it could be online too. So many use online services like Overdrive, Libby, and Hoopla, that they may be stuck about what to checkout on there. That is when I thought it could be cool to have a randomizer on the library website. That way anyone visiting the website could click the randomizer and get a reading suggestion without even leaving their house. 

Lastly, I loved Sarick’s “Good Books You May Have Missed” cart. While having a display on a table or in a case can be nice, it would be really useful to have a cart right near the front that could easily be rearranged or moved if needed. My local public library does have a unique tree-like shelf display that they use to feature a specific theme of books, usually whatever holiday is nearest. Yet, it is somewhat obnoxious, even though its large size quickly draws attention to it and the books displayed. I think it could work even better to have a colorful cart near the circulation desk. The book drop off is also right when you come in, so it could be placed right there. They could even have two carts, the other one being by the reference desk which is right in the middle of all the patron computers and near the nonfiction section. This could draw people over to the carts from various points in the library. To make sure these displays are known by as many people as possible, pictures of them could be posted on the library website and social media. 

Overall, whichever promotional and marketing ideas, tools, and services a library employs, I believe it is important to think of in person and online. 

References:

Carrol, Bill. (n.d.) Don’t Talk to Me: Passive Readers’ Advisory. Retrieved from https://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/ld/c-d/continuing-ed/iloc/copy_of_iloc-2016/handouts/dont-talk-to-me/donttalktome.pdf

Saricks, J. (2005) Promoting and marketing readers’ advisory collections and services. Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library. Chicago: ALA. 136-160.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that, no matter the promotional style, we need to consider both our online and physical collections. Especially in this time where our digital collections are so critically important, we should not leave them out of our promo efforts. A title randomizer as a digital-materials-friendly modification to the "bowl of inspiration" is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All excellent ideas! Full points!

    ReplyDelete